Pages

Friday, March 5, 2010

But if not...


Daniel 3:17-18
If it be [so], our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver [us] out of thine hand, O king.
But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.


I am sure everyone can name brothers and sisters in Christ who wear their faith on their sleeves. They are such an encouragement as I see them praying to God during their struggles and praising Him no matter what. This is not an easy thing for me to replicate as I tend to have a "plan B" just in case God thinks my plan is better. My problem is not in believing that God CAN take care of my problems, but in following Him if he chooses NOT to take care of them.

I have been battling lately when I should just let things go. It is easy to say "I know God can fix this situation if He wants to" but instead of trusting Him regardless of the outcome, I focus all MY energy on making it happen. This is not a good way to grow in my relationship with the Lord. I am not saying I am to remain on the sidelines doing nothing and waiting for God to do all the work. But there are times when I need to do what is needed, and then focus on obeying God in all areas of my life.

In Daniel chapter 3, there is a great example of following and trusting in God. There were some Godly Hebrew captives who refused to obey the King of Persia by worshiping golden images of their gods. They were to be burned to death in a fiery furnace for disobeying the King's law. They believed that God could save them from this King's punishment and deliver them from the fiery death that faced them. But the best part in their testimony of faith was their declaration that even if God wouldn't save them, they would not give up God and worship the gods of Persia. Their devotion to God was so true, that even when faced with death, they would continue following the Lord of the Universe.

This picture of these three really humbles me. I am not facing death, yet I do not always see my walk with God as they did. In fact, many of my problems are meaningless in a month or shortly after, and instead of making the most of my relationship with my Savior during these times, I neglect Him as I try to fix my problems.

Oh Heavenly Father, I thank you for your mighty Word and for you patience with me as I continue to fall in my walk with You. Please help my faith to grow so I too can say "But if not" no matter what the situation may be. Please help me to be an instrument for You in whatever Ministry You have for me. Amen!

No comments: